Monday 19 February 2018

I would not be here if...

I would not be here (in Te Pahu and the family I am in) if...

  • My parents had not both gone to teachers college.
  • A lady I knew didn't tell me about the job going here at Te Pahu.
  • I did not play the drums, as I would not have been in a band where I met my wife.
  • My Poppa's Mum did not decide to move from Guernsey to New Zealand. 
This was the fascinating question the students answered to start them thinking about what has shaped them and brought them to live here in Te Pahu in the family they are in. It was an interesting look into how decisions change the future and helped the students realise that there is so much they do not know about their history. 

The students are now, for homework, completing a map tracking one line of their family tree. They will identify the locations their family has been in throughout history. I am really looking forward to the interesting stories that come from this.

Our inquiry throughout much of this year will be looking into our identity - our place in our families, in Te Pahu, in New Zealand and in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment